Saturday, February 23, 2013

New Beginnings and Hidden Fear

So it's been a little bit since I last posted, but I received an offer for a sixth grade position and I took it.  Never really though I would end up teaching sixth grade as my first job and definitely not part way through the year, but I am now a sixth grade teacher.  It has been quite a hectic transition for my students and I alike.  They miss their teacher and I miss my sleep haha.  I have found it a bit tougher than I had imagined it in my mind, but I know I can do it.  I have heard many people telling me because I am coming in almost three quarters of the way into the year at this level that "If you can do this, you can do anything."  I have cried once (though not in front of my students of course.  That would be bad).  I have also learned so much this last week, which was my first week.  If you are a new teacher, let alone one coming in part way through the year with little to go on, this is what I have found to be helpful in my experience so far.

1. Be expecting the unexpected.
2. Ask, ask, ask!  Much of the staff is more than willing to help and are full of wonderful information.
3. No matter how tough things may get, do not give up.  Students need structure and to know you're serious about your routine.
4. Take a breath and take it one day at a time.  I felt overwhelmed by day two, but it has gotten better after that.
5. Show them you have structure, but don't forget to show them you care.  Let them see your humor and that they are important to you.  Hopefully they will come around and see that you have structure because you care.

There are many things I have learned, but there is still so much I need to learn.  I'm sure it will become easier overtime.  I do really enjoy teaching so far.  I am very grateful for this opportunity and am ready to learn to become a great teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment